General guidelinesWe get a lot of questions from people who ask us how much they should feed their horse. There are multiple answers to that questions. The amount of feed a horse requires depends upon his/her weight, breed, age, amount of exercise etc. etc.
Below are some advices about how much feed your horse needs. Exercise level is divided into low, medium and high and body weight into 300 kg, 450 kg and 600 kg.
We also advice to follow the 7 HAVENS Feeding-rules:
- Feed your horse (or horses) with small portions regularly. Horses are generally used to be eating 60-80% of their time.
- Don't change the feed or feeding time just at once, make small changes. For example if you want to change from one muesli to the other mix it first like 1/4 and 3/4, the next day 1/2 and 1/2, the next day 3/4 and 1/4 and after that fully the other muesli.
- Feed as much as the horse NEEDS, if it gets too skinny feed it more, if it gets too fat you feed it too much.
- Always feed your horse with enough hay.
- Supply your horse with hay first before you give it muesli or cubes. The chewing provides the mouth with saliva.
- Let the horse rest for at least 1 hour after feeding before you ride it.
- Always provide your horse with fresh water.